SHARE ON FACEBOOK

James O’Connor admits killing popular Glastonbury man Fred Burge

A 44-YEAR-OLD man has admitted killing a popular pensioner in his home in Glastonbury last year.

James O’Connor, from Hilltown, Dundee, Scotland, pleaded guilty to manslaughter by diminished responsibility at Bristol Crown Court on Thursday (February 8).

The court was told how O’Connor stabbed 89-year-old Frederick Burge at his home off George Street, Glastonbury, on Sunday, February 26 last year.

An investigation was launched into Frederick’s death by the Major Crime Investigation Team (MCIT) and O’Connor was charged in March 2023 following an extensive review of CCTV, witness interviews and public appeals.

He will be sentenced at Bristol Crown Court at a later date.

Frederick’s family shared a loving tribute to the “best dad, grandad, great-grandad and great-great-grandad in the world”.

They said: “He was a loving, kind and charming man and a huge hole has been left in our hearts by his sudden passing.

“We take some comfort in knowing he is up in heaven with his late wife, Marina, and he is looking down on us and we know he would want us to be strong.

“We will look back on the cherished memories of the time we had together with fondness, and we will treasure these always.”

MCIT Senior Investigating Officer, Det Supt Gary Haskins, said: “Our collective thoughts remain with Frederick’s family, who have been supportive throughout the investigation.

“Frederick was described by them as a well-known character in Glastonbury with a friendly smile who regularly stopped to talk with others in the community.

“We hope this result will give the family some closure and give them solace following what has undoubtedly been a very difficult time.

“I would like to recognise the hard work of all police officers and staff involved in the investigation as well as partners within the community and the Crown Prosecution Service.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *